What’s in the box this week?
Standard Shares include:
• “New Moon” Honeydew – This green flesh melon is perfect to eat by itself, or you can cut it up with some of your basil and feta for a unique salad. This melon is very crisp and can last for a week or two on your counter.
• Valley Girl Tomatoes – Perfect for canning and preserving. Order through our Online Market if you are interested in adding a box of #2’s to your CSA order! 20lbs for only $30!
• Basil – Please put these in a vase or jar of water as soon as you can – on your countertop. Cut some from the plant you’ve put in water each time you need it, or use it all for pesto in one fell swoop.
• German Butterball Potatoes
• Okra – Fear not the slime! The trick to cooking okra without it being slimy is to not move it while in the pan. Try slicing it into rounds, placing them in a hot skillet with oil and searing until browned. Salt and enjoy. Pairs well with cumin.
• Zucchini – A customer at the Inner Richmond Farmers’ Market suggests cutting the zucchinis into ribbons with a carrot peeler. Then he sautees them in butter with garlic, just like pasta. Grate some parmesan on top and you’re made!
• Sage – Chop up the sage and pan-fry or roast with the potatoes, with olive oil, salt, and pepper
Egg Shares include eggs from our certified organic, pasture-raised, happy hens.
Preserve Shares Pickled Jalapenos
Vegetable Forecast Melon, Tomatoes, Calliope Eggplant, Green Bell Peppers, Carrots, Lemon Cucumber
Don’t forget – you can always add extra items to your order at our Online Market
• Check out Say Hay Farms’ new Facebook page! We will be posting pictures, news, and info from the farm! "Like" us today and tell your friends to "like" us, too!
• We are excited to be putting together a database of recipes for the Say Hay CSA program. If you have any delicious recipes to suggest that include one or more veggies in our box, we would love to feature them. Email us your recipes at email@example.com.
Pics of the week: prepping for fall – pre-irrigating and transplanting