What’s in the box this week?
Standard Shares include
- Sugar Baby Watermelon – The pinnacle of summer! Our one crop of heirloom Sugar Baby Watermelons, grown just for you - our CSA members.. A seeded red-fleshed watermelon with amazing flavor. We suggest keeping it in your fridge and cutting into a cool, crisp watermelon one warm evening this week.
- Little Gem Lettuces – The star of this week’s recipe!
- Heirloom Tomatoes – Heirlooms galore… Though the large beefsteak “Goldie” tomato dates back to the 1870s, Goldie was first produced for commercial use in 1977. Our other tomato this week is the ‘Paul Robeson”, a Russian heirloom with a dedicated following among tomato connoisseurs. It was named in honor of Paul Robeson (1898-1976), the famous opera singer and equal rights advocate. There are also some Striped Germans and Cherokee Purples in the mix.
- Bartlett Pears – An exclusive for our CSA members, these pears are from our home orchard. Pear and blue cheese salad anyone?
- Dragon Tongue Snap Beans — Simply sautee the beans with coconut oil, a little butter, and minced garlic. Then add some freshly chopped basil on top before serving!
Egg Shares include eggs from our certified organic, pasture-raised, happy hens.
Don’t forget – you can always add extra items to your order at our Online Market.
Head Lettuce, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatillos, Poblano Peppers, Jalapenos
It’s time to get your canning tomatoes if you haven’t already! The summer is coming to a fast close with the Autumnal Equinox on the 23rd. Go to our Online Market and have a box (or two!) of tomatoes delivered with your CSA Share.
We’re getting ready for our Fall New Member Recruitment Drive! Please keep an eye on your email inbox and help spread the word about our CSA.
Pics of the week
Charent-haaay melons at market
Get ready for our Roasted Valley Girl Salsa and Jala Hot Sauce – great holiday gifts
Or make your own sauce! Time is running out for canning season. Order your through our online market.
Even our dogs are tired! A busy summer is coming to a close.
Anchovy, Little Gem, and Tomato Salad (Serves 4) Lettuce is back and we can enjoy awesome salads with summer still going strong. Here’s a recipe from Bon Appetit that requires just a little roasting…
- 4 ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/3 lbs), stemmed, halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 c Dijon Vinaigrette
- 12 whole marinated white anchovy fillets (boquerones), drained
- 1 head Little Gem lettuce (about 4 oz), leaves separated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh curly parsley
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes in an 8x8x2" glass baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with oil. Roast tomatoes until softened, about 30 minutes. Let cool. Transfer tomatoes to a large bowl, leaving juices behind. Pour vinaigrette into baking dish and whisk into the tomato juices to blend.
Add anchovies and lettuce to bowl with tomatoes. Drizzle vinaigrette over. Toss salad to coat (it's best if you use your hands). Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle parsley over and serve.