What’s in the box this week?
Standard Shares include
- Batavian Lettuce – Oily dressings cling easily to its leaves, so try out your favorites on this crisp lettuce!
- Yukon Potatoes – The star of this week’s recipe!
- Spring Onions – Spring onions are delicious on the grill. They turn sweet and a bit creamy, adding lots of flavor alongside roast meats - particularly a nice grilled steak - or as part of a grilled vegetable platter. Trim any wilted greens at the top of the spring onions and cut the root off – being careful to cut right at the bottom so the bulb stays together. Brush spring onions with olive oil or vegetable oil. Put spring onions on a medium hot grill and cook, turning once, covered if possible, until grill marks appear on both sides and the spring onion is tender all the way through, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and spritz with lemon juice, if you like.
- Sage – Simply squeeze the juice from fresh leaves or even just rub leaves onto the area to soothe insect bites.
- Mixed Summer Squash - Summer squash are a subset of squashes that are harvested when immature, while the rind is still tender and edible.
Egg Shares include eggs from our certified organic, pasture-raised, happy hens.
Fingerling Potatoes, Red Cabbage, Red Curly Kale, Spring Onions, Summer Squash
With summer officially two weeks away, we’re in the thick of it! There’s so much work to be done in the fields: weeding, planting, tractor work, harvest, tending staked crops, raising the baby chicks, all while the move to the new property is underway…. The heat is on, literally. We had our first 102 degree day on Monday. But the Say Hay team is stepping up to the challenges and getting ‘er done.
Smashed Roasted Potatoes (Serves 6-8)
OMG these potatoes are so delicious, it’s hard to not make them every single day…. You’ll be excited to have this simple yet unbelievably tasty preparation in your potato repertoire. Thank you Bon Appetit!
- 2 lbs medium Yukon Gold or red-skinned potatoes (about 6 oz each)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap each potato individually in foil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until tender, 45–60 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Unwrap potatoes and arrange on same baking sheet. Set another rimmed baking sheet over potatoes, rimmed side up, and press gently to smash potatoes without breaking them apart. Season with salt and pepper; drizzle with half of the oil. Carefully turn potatoes to coat.
Preheat oven to 500°F. Roast potatoes for 15 minutes. Drizzle with remaining oil, turn to coat, and continue roasting until crispy and golden brown, 25–30 minutes.
Pic of the Week